Pages

Friday, March 10, 2017

A Plethora of Things!

So February and the beginning of March have been a whirlwind of activity, and today I realized it's been a month since I wrote something here! So here's an update on some of  the library activity that has been going on:

Elementary Book Fair --- The elementary book fair, which ran Feb 28-March 3, was a huge success. We sold over $8000 worth of books and other items, netting the school over $3000 dollars in funding. Some of this has already been given away through books to students, classrooms, and purchases for the library. Some of the rest will be used to purchase online databases for students to use and some will be saved in order to replace computers in the library in the next 2-3 years.

Career Research --- The eighth grade completed their annual career research recently. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to guide them as the explored a chosen career. We first completed a chart about what they knew and wanted to know about their career, then talked about creating citations for the sources they used, and finally they were able to start researching using either a paper packet or a Google sheet (paper/pencil VS technology!). It went incredibly well with students learning many different skills.

Presentation to the Staff --- I held a presentation for the staff on our February professional development day about different online resources that could be utilized to help make book recommendations to students. There was an overwhelming response and great discussion that happened, and I even had one teacher ask me to do a mini-session with her reading classes! I love being in a district where we can share knowledge and ideas and invite other staff in for collaboration.

Common School Fund & Budget -- Leaving the least exciting to last, I've been working on my library budgets in all three buildings recently, trying to wrap up spending for this year and plan for next year. One of the things that I always need to consider is the amount of funding we will get from Common School Fund. You can find out more about the Common School Fund via my post from last year or by visiting the DPI website. These year the amount of funding was down, with SCC receiving  $49,651 for purchase of library resources and learning materials. This is the only money I receive for such materials, so am very grateful to our founders and our current representatives for safe guarding this important school funding.

That has been a bit of my world the past few weeks! If you'd like to know more about any of these items or anything else in library land, you can contact me anytime via email at aolson[at]scc.k12.wi.us. Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment