Reading for pleasure unlocks the power of information and imagination and helps children discover who they are. Here’s what you can do to help children develop stronger reading skills and a love for reading:
- Set the example. Let children see you read.
- Have a collection of books in your home. Update this collection routinely to keep pace with changing tastes and reading skills.
- Support our school’s Book Fair. Allow your children to choose their own books to read.
Our Scholastic Book Fair is a reading event that brings the books kids want to read right into our school. It’s a wonderful selection of engaging and affordable books for every reading level. Please make plans to visit our Book Fair and be involved in shaping your child’s reading habits.
Three Ways for Students and Families to Shop!
- At School Oct 19-21: Students may shop during the library or computer class (see schedule below). The book fair will NOT be open to students before or after school.
- On Oct 21 during the PPG Fall Festival: Families are welcome to stop by during this fun filled evening event.
- Shop Online Oct 14-27: Families can order items online and have them shipped to school for free after Oct 27. This is an excellent option if you can’t make it on Oct 21 or you don’t feel comfortable sending money to school with your child.
Book Fair Website with Shop Online Link - www.scholastic.com/bf/sccelem
Student Contest - Students also have the opportunity to win a free book from the book fair by participating in our coloring contest. Coloring sheets can be found in the library or at goo.gl/GfQjVh. Please return by Oct 18 so winners can be chosen.
Some Frequently Asked Questions...
When can my child purchase items during the school day Oct 19-21?
Students will have the opportunity to preview and shop at the book fair during their library or computer class on Oct 19-21.
If you send money, we request that you please send it in a labeled envelope and state whether the money is to be used strictly for books, or if it can also be used for “fun” items (posters, pencils, pens, etc).
The book fair will NOT be open to students before or after school.
See the schedule below for shopping days by class.
Wed, Oct 19
Thurs, Oct 20
Fri, Oct 21
What if I don’t feel comfortable sending money with my child and/or can’t stop by the evening of October 21st?
An excellent alternative is to shop the online book fair! You can shop online Oct 14-27 by visiting www.scholastic.com/bf/sccelem or using the link on the SCC elementary page. Nearly everything that is at the physical fair is also available online, plus there are TONS of items that are only available online.
Items will be shipped to school for free after Oct 27 and delivered to students.
What does the profit from the book fair go towards?
This is an amazing fund raiser for our library and our school community. The profits from our book fair go towards providing books to contest winners (always the first priority for students!), books in classroom libraries, and books in the school library. Beyond this, profit is also set aside to cover the purchase of the Flix databases (FreedomFlix, TrueFlix, and the new ScienceFlix). These are terrific resources for our staff and students. We truly, deeply appreciate your support of reading and quality resources of knowledge in our school.
If you have any questions about the book fair, please contact me at aolson[at]scc.k12.wi.us. DFTBA!